Re: [ARSCLIST] Sad news about Dick Sudhalter and Decca archive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clark Johnsen" <clarkjohnsen@xxxxxxxxx>
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Michael Biel <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
. And there is now confirmation that the Universal vault fire consumed the
entire Decca masters from the 30s thru the 50s. Metal, tape, test
pressings, and paper.
Which leads one to wonder, just how safe are any of the masters? And for
that matter, where *do* they reside?
"Proliferation is preservation."

Oddly enough, although Victor preserved most of their "metal parts" as well
as their ledgers...the last I knew they had completely lost track of WHICH
"metal parts" were stored WHERE!

The secret of "preservation" (and I will admit to failing this BADLY...?!)...is
not only to have preserved the <whatever originals are being discussed>...
BUT...to have a system whereby each preserved item can be easily
(1) located, and (2) accessed!

Even if you successfully managed to save the <wotever>...that means
SFA if you no longer recall where you PUT the sombitch...?!