Re: [ARSCLIST] Sad news about Dick Sudhalter and Decca archive

Clark Johnsen wrote:
On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM, Michael Biel <mbiel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

. And there is now confirmation that the Universal vault fire consumed the
entire Decca masters from the 30s thru the 50s. Metal, tape, test
pressings, and paper.

Which leads one to wonder, just how safe are any of the masters? And for
that matter, where *do* they reside?
Universal claimed that they were in the process of moving them to the underground storage area in Iron Mountain. That is where BMG/Sony is, I believe. I've always wondered how safe IT is.
"Proliferation is preservation."

clark

Tim Brooks and Sam Brylawsky are leading the charge to have this understanding made a part of the deliberations in changing copyright laws.