To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury MG10000 series listing or discography

Tom Fine wrote:

To my ears, disk-to-disk cuts were done at both times for the pre-tape-master material; I say this because I cannot hear the tell-tale signs of a tape-dub master (a little bit of hiss, a little bit of fuzzy dynamics).

That probably explains the needle-drop sound on the Shostakovich Piano Pieces LP! I forget what track it's on, possibly the Polka from the Age of Gold. (Too bad centering wasn't a priority on those transfers.) It might also explain the duplicated notes on some 78 transfers..midway in the 1812 Overture and in one movement of the Khachaturian Violin Concerto (which Mitch Miller told me was dubbed from gold metal parts, and reverb was added via a speaker and mike in the washroom).

dl