Re: [ARSCLIST] The Hope of Audacity Was--Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking recommendations for oral history digitization equipment (fwd)

I recall George Blood's presentation.  It begged the question then and
does now:  is digital preservation of audio something smaller archives
can actually do, given present standards and opinions on what
constitutes accurate rendering, without without blowing the budget (if
there even is one)? Or is the promise of digital preservation outside
the reach of these institutions, in which case, what are they to do?
Thankfully my institution, the University of Georgia Libraries, has
the resources to do some work in-house and send some work out
(sometimes to George Blood), but we also council small archives around
Georgia when they ask about digital preservation.  These are places
that may still actively be dubbing cassettes on a dual-well deck for
backups, but realize there may be digital solutions out there within
reach.  Are they, really, within reach for these institutions, given
the conversation that has gone on here? As Andy has mentioned, I have
to think there are reasonable solutions for them.

In any case, Audacity and bundled softwares are often mentioned on the
Archivists and Oral History listservs as useful for smaller
digitization projects and shoestring budgets.  My personal experience
has borne this usefulness out.  Although we use a number of different
softwares (including WaveLab and Soundforge for preservation work),
I've found Audacity to be capable of generating WAVs and of limited
editing tasks; I use it all the time on my Mac, when I need to work
with video soundtracks exported out of Quicktime.  I've never had a
problem with the resulting sound quality.

I think Tom clarified his thoughts on Audacity, and I understand what
he meant when he gave his opinion regarding it.  It's great that a
larger conversation has resulted.  But I will say if there is real
evidence that Audacity or bundled softwares like Cubase LE cannot
handle what it says it can or is somehow buggy, this should be made
evident to the larger archival community beyond ARSC, many of whom use
the software that came with their interface or Audacity.  It would
also be interesting to see what Audacity's developers have to say.

Craig

--
Craig Breaden
Head, Media and Oral History