Re: [ARSCLIST] The end of the cassette ? ? ?

I've seen some USB cassette decks before, but I wondered about the
quality of them.  Mainly this is because the first place I saw one was
in a clothing store in a mall, so I thought, "Oh great, another crappy
modern consumer model that probably sounds terrible."  Does anyone
know if these are actually good decks, or are they as bad as I think
they might be?  Any cassette players (consumer models I mean) that
I've bought since the turn of the millenium have been hissy and
horrible compared to the older stuff I used to have growing up.  These
USB models may be aimed at Joe Shmoe wanting to copy his friend's
cassettes or whatever, but I wonder if they even approach archival
quality.

Does anyone have experience working with this newer equipment?

---------
Trey Bunn
Audiovisual Conservator
Emory University Libraries