Re: [ARSCLIST] Oral History tools (was The end of the cassette ? ? ?

To which I would add:

Tom's suggestion of recording in stereo is absolutely on the mark. It's so much easier to 'decode' audio in a noisy environment from a two-channel pickup. If you've ever recorded a lecture that way while sitting in the audience, you know how effective this can be.

To another point: I've found several new cassette recorders and packed them away in their blister-packs along with a box of new cassettes.

(I also admit doing the same thing with Minidisks...but those are headed for eBay) <g>

Regards,

Mark Durenberger

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

One mic per person usually works well, but I've heard very nicely audible group-discussion things made with a well-placed stereo mic.

Here's what may be a controversial notion. If you have made an oral history recording that is of great value to you and your family, I would suggest that it's prudent to record a backup of the final edited product to ... cassette! Why? They are cockroaches -- they seem to last very well over decades when stored properly. There will likely be playback gear around for decades to come (if you have any doubts, go online and buy a couple of $20 Walkmans, they are still sold).