Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire players

Ah..... summer in North America.... short replies take a while - long replies take a long time - this is a long reply but I think the time has come to at least partially document efforts made by myself and Art Shifrin at my old company VidiPax more then 10 years ago. The lessons learned will likely be helpful to many on this list now, and perhaps more importantly to those who ponder these type of issues in general in the future - so I am counting on the Internet to index this somehow so someone who may have a need in the future can find it.

Based on a great deal of experience over time, I developed the theory that magnetic recorders (and frequently other media types as well) were in fact capable of far higher quality recordings then they were able to play back on the same machine. I slowly developed this theory during a period of about 5 years when I first started to do format migration work and was dealing with some very difficult issues in the video area - specifically relating to signal timing and playback which is of course critical in video. I noticed that while the machines could always record a signal - whether the machine could play back that signal (or another signal due to interchange issues) was an entirely different matter. This theory has proven to be correct over the years in many instances. Even if a machine was out of alignment it WOULD record in an out of alignment way - the trick then was to figure out how to play back that signal - and it was far more difficult in many instances to play back that signal with the electronics of that era.

When one thinks about that now - it may be no great epiphany - but it was to me at that time because it made me realize that in fact virtually millions of recordings have NEVER been heard or seen with the same fidelity as had been recorded, and this occurred to me with a sort of overwhelming realization at that time. That meant that one COULD develop ways to play back recordings with modern electronics (modern by definition does not necessarily mean today "state fo the art" but could mean more modern relative to the time the technology of the recording was made - and sometimes in a "golden era" of electronics when certain gear that did particularly well with certain signal types was available).

When testing this theory with video, I found that it was sometimes true and sometimes not depending on a number of factors - but primarily one factor specifically in video that the electronics for a period got more tolerant (and therefore able to indeed play back better then the original recorder could) and then less tolerant - as state of the art came to mean that all electronic timings were perfect from first recording and so the playback electronics really did not have to be very tolerant at all (in the analog domain) because all of the recorded signals were in good shape (if nothing went wrong). So when a tape that was in crapola shape came for playback 30 years later, playback was exceedingly difficult because the electronics of that vintage expected everything to be perfect, there was no tolerance to speak of, and so it was a nightmare project to get a decent playback. This is still the case with it being far more difficult to play back a severely damaged digital recording then an analog one.

During this time Art Shifrin came to work for me at my company at that time - VidiPax. We were at the time business colleagues and friends (and that unfortunately is no longer the case). At that time we discussed this theory I had - which made sense to him. The business at that time involved playing back obsolete formats and Wire Recording playback was a format we supported. We used period wire recorders, but you did not need to be too good of an audio engineer to see that the playback electronics on those machines (either professional or consumer) was pretty awful. The transports were largely Rube Goldberg affairs if you look inside of one - and we both figured there had to be a better way. We decided to find out if my theory was true for Wire Recordings - even considering their age and low coercivity - and decided to build ourselves a test bed device to see what might be possible. Now remember that this was for internal purposes only for our playback business - there was never any intention to actually sell one of these.

In earlier days Art worked for Ampex as a repair technician and knew the insides of the reel to reel decks cold. The Ampex decks were also in plentiful supply essentially for the asking, and both of us had very high regard for the quality of the Ampex playback electronics having a clean sound that was analog and appropriate for the playback of the wires - at least conceptually. There were many other questions however - such as heads.... Would standard playback heads playback the low level recordings from the wire? We did not know, but I reasoned that the worse case would be that the levels would be low and that the S/N would then be in the dumps - but we could deal with that through preamplification tweaking or through getting a custom head stack and preamp made if necessary (we of course had wire recorder heads and there are several expert head rebuilders around and could easily commission a new head with different characteristics and electronicsbased on the output level from the wire). We reasoned that worst case it would be no lower then the output from a turntable cartridge and we could easily deal with that if we needed to. We found to our delight that we did not have to go to these extremes, but that a standard full track head worked just fine with the standard electronics with just a few tweaks, provided that we could hold the wire in place (the moving of the wire across the head made all sorts of sonic problems as you might imagine). Art devised a very simple design whereby he glued tiny wedges directly to the head to hold the wire in precisely the same position. Think of tiny triangles placed against one another with the bare head inbetween. The wire was "encouraged" to stay in place by the tension place upon it - and it rode in the groove between the two triangle wedges. As you might imagine the wire had higher friction then a tape would, so we wore the heads down a bit faster - but we had plenty of cheap Ampex full track heads, plenty of super glue, and plenty of plastic wedges so it was not much of a problem.

We also decided immediately that the transport system should be capstan driven. Provided that the wire could be maintained at proper tension through the entire playback path we believed that we could get a much more consistent playback then period machines were capable of. This was found to be true. Art did a great job on the transport system spending a huge amount of hours and eventually we enlisted the services of a friend of his that had a small machine shop, and built some components to essentially do 2 things - one was to allow the capstan to move the wire consistently at speed, and the other was to move the wire at the take up position so that it was not deposited in one place. To do that we essentially took the idea from a deep sea fishing reel and had a bobbin type assembly that moved the wire forward and back as the reel turned automatically. This was a tricky bit but with some experimentation was shown to be more reliable in terms of constant speed over the head then moving the reel up and down (as is done in some commercial wire recorders).

Bottom line - it worked and the results truly amazed both of us. The theory was more then correct and the results really were amazing - we had expected better but what we got was so far better that we truly were astounded. There was no more sound that sounded like you were listening through a cereal box - the sound was almost always clear and with really decent frequency response.

Art left the company and I believe continued work on his own on the device. Art deserved Kudos for doing the work that he did, and continuing on his own. I have always referred this type of work when it showed up to him in ensuing years whether he realized it or not. There are no "plans" and there were no other machines that were built. I am absolutely positively convinced that if you want to really hear what a wire recording has recorded on it - this approach is the one to be followed. It will take some time and money to do - but you now have the advance knowledge that we did not have - that in fact it DOES work and is worth the effort. Try it - you too will be amazed. The recipe - several used Ampex decks - used but not abused. Access to a machine shop to make a few parts. A good understanding of electronics and the schematics to make a few tweaks that you will find you need, good mechanical ability, lots of coffee, and a great deal of time to fiddle with it. It will be worth your while.

Jim Lindner

Email: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Media Matters LLC.
  SAMMA Systems Inc.
  450 West 31st Street 4th Floor
  New York, N.Y. 10001

eFax (646) 349-4475
Mobile: (917) 945-2662
Office: (212) 268-5528

www.media-matters.net
Media Matters LLC. is a technical consultancy specializing in archival audio and video material. We provide advice and analysis, to media archives that apply the beneficial advances in technology to collection management.

www.sammasystems.com
SAMMA Systems provides tools and products that implement and optimize the advances in modern technology with established media preservation and access practices.