[ARSCLIST] Wire players

We're trying to decide whether to rebuild an old wire player (or two) or
start from scratch. Our maintenance engineer asks:

"We have a small number of wire recordings in our collections, in a
variety of formats. We'd be interested to know what solutions other
archives have found for playing back wires. I know that there are old
machines still available, and some commercial operators using them to
make transfers, but have any of you built or commissioned new machines,
and how have you found the process? How do you handle different formats
- is it a good idea to have a separate machine for each format, or is
one 'universal' machine possible? Are there outfits or operators around
selling new machines and what would be the likely costs?"

All informed thoughts welcomed.

Regards

Will

Will Prentice
Technical Services
British Library Sound Archive    Tel: +44 (0)20-7412-7443
96 Euston Road                       Fax: +44 (0)20-7412-7416
London  NW1 2DB                   http://www.bl.uk
UK                                          http://cadensa.bl.uk (online
catalogue)

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2006/07 : www.bl.uk/mylibrary

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.