o Around 1949, Granz licensed the JATP rights to Mercury.
o In the meantime, Granz established his own label, which ultimately changed names from Clef to NorGran to Verve. When the Mercury licenses ran out (1952?), he re-issued the JATP masters on Clef.

John Ross

At 7/8/2008 03:48 PM, you wrote:
I have several volumes of JATP on Mercury 78's. They are definitely badged Mercury and have "Norman Granz Presents" on the label.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 2:48 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Granz and JATP (Was:Sinatra & Ella)

The first JATP album was definitely on Asch-Stinson (did it ever appear on pre-Stinson Asch?). Granz took the masters to Moe. Disc got Volume II (did this appear in various forms on ten-inch and twelve-inch and with 2 discs and 3? I seem to remember variant versions of it). Then, over to Clef for remaining volumes, and there were some sets that appeared both on Disc and Clef (like The Groove Juice Symphony).

dl

John Ross wrote:
Were first JATP releases on Mercury? I have a Fall 1946 Disc Catalog that includes about half a dozen Norman Granz productions, including "Jazz at the Philharmonic--Vol 2" (Disc Album 501) and several other "-- at the Philharmonic" items. There's no "Vol. 1" in the catalog, which suggests that it might have been issued by somebody else. I don't think Moe Asch ever took anything out of his catalog voluntarily.

Disc was Moe Asch's label before he established Folkways. At some point, he went into a partnership with Stinson, which led to many of the early "Folksay" things appearing on both labels after they split apart. There were several JATP releases on Stinson, probably with some of the same material as the Norgran/Verve titles.

How did Disc and Stinson fit into the release history of the JATP recordings?

John Ross