Re: [ARSCLIST] RCA 1958 promo film(s)

George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

At EMI, lacquer was used for colonial recording from the late 1930s; I suppose this logistic choice was sensible and outweighed the increased noise that would be masked by the shellac mixture. And the end users were probably not esteemed as being quality-conscious.

That, and the colonial buyers were likely as not listening on cheap suitcase portables, which would not have the frequency range of a more expensive floor model....although I would think that any surface noise would actually be MORE noticeable on suitcases, since they didn't reproduce the bass range all that well.

Michael Shoshani
Chicago