To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:22 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FBI Warning

It us my understanding that true random play should allow for the same track to be repeated an infinite number of times. Has anyone ever experienced this using either hardware or software digital player?

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Steve:

Don't you think the idea of "reasonable-sized collection" is getting modified in the iPod world? For instance, a 160gig iPod can hold hundreds of thousands of (low-quality lossy compression) tunes. It can hold at least several if not many thousand Apple Lossless Format tunes. You can set the whole thing on "Shuffle" and never hear the same tune twice for weeks, months or years, but you can eventually play through the whole library. So, then, the question becomes, what is a reasonable amount of time and space for music in one's life?

Also, just what's wrong with being passionately interested in something collectable, especially when it's such an experience as music can provide? What is a better use of one's time? I would argue that most things that occupy the hours of a 2008 American day are not a better use of the time.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Abrams" <steve.abrams@xxxxxxxxx>