Re: [ARSCLIST] Shostakovich LP Query

What we don't know is whether the LP is a commercial or private issue. It could be the owner's high school orchestra, of value only to the collector. Re Gould, I didn't check Schwann beyond 1960 (just thumbed through the ones on my desk and the WERM supplements).

dl

Mike Richter wrote:
David Lennick wrote:

Can you provide any info from the disc or are you working from lists? The only recording of the Overture in the West for any length of time was by Gauk. There's a useless Kondrashin discography (useless because it skips from Scriabin to Sibelius, misses Shostakovich entirely).

There's also a Morton Gould - just noted for the record, not as a candidate. The Gauk had two couplings, I believe, but neither was the symphony.

I have no non-U.S. data source for such material. (The above is from thirty years of Schwann catalogues.)

Mike