Re: [ARSCLIST] Shostakovich LP Query

--- "Stephen M.H. Braitman" <braitman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Specifically, I wonder if there is any single LP
> that actually pairs
> the 1st Symphony with the Festive Overture that may
> be notable.

I know of only one commercial LP  release that couples
those two works:

Artia ALP(mono) ALPS (stereo) 710; Supraphon SUA
10576; Czech Philharmonic w. Karel Ancerl

Checking OCLC I found a most curious listing for an LP
which offers no performer listings.

OCLC: 8090342

Are there any numbers/letters towards the center of
the disc?

If the disc sounds like a transfer of some lacquers it
could be any number of performers, however the Festive
Overture is rather late, dating from 1954. There are
several extant early performances of the Symphony,
Koussevitzky's being one, but he never performed the
Overture as it was written after his passing. The
first recording I know of the Overture was done by
Gauk.

It would be interesting to hear it.

As for the composer conducting...I only recall the
incorrectly identified recording of the 10...he wasn't
conducting, not to be confused with his participation
in a performance in a piano reduction of the
piece...with Vainberg (as I recall) playing the other
part.

On a related note, I have often wondered what might
survive in the radio archives in the former Soviet
Union. We know that Prokofiev conducted several of his
works on the radio and perhaps there are other
Shostakovich performances surviving...

Hope this helps.

Karl