Re: [ARSCLIST] Shostakovich LP Query

Good grief!

A set of shellac pressings of the Toscanini broadcast of the Seventh went for three figures last month, and a set of lacquers of Rodzinski doing the same one in concert went to a Japanese collector who can't play 78s (and wasn't interested in making them available for transfer), but I can't think of any Shostakovich that's worth anything near that. And while he made a number of piano recordings, I'm 99.9% certain that he never conducted any recordings, even though he's listed as doing the tenth on one issue.

Can you provide any info from the disc or are you working from lists? The only recording of the Overture in the West for any length of time was by Gauk. There's a useless Kondrashin discography (useless because it skips from Scriabin to Sibelius, misses Shostakovich entirely).

dl

Stephen M.H. Braitman wrote:
Howdy, Folks:

I'm doing an evaluation of a record collection that was water damaged. In the claim for replacement coverage, I'm seeing the usual "optimistic" estimates of the cost of replacing many common, mainstream rock and popular albums, with a few similarly common classical albums.

However, one items sticks out. Way out. A value of $6,500.00 is being applied to an album that is simply described as "Dimitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 1, Festive Overture." That's it. No record label, conductor, orchestra information.

Now, of course, this is certainly a ridiculous claim. But my due diligence directs me to ask this group if there is any - ANY - original Shostakovich vinyl LP that is particularly collectible. Perhaps the value is not like this one is claimed to be, but perhaps someone here on this list knows what Shostakovich could be valuable.

Specifically, I wonder if there is any single LP that actually pairs the 1st Symphony with the Festive Overture that may be notable. Perhaps it's an original Russian pressing with the composer conducting? I don't know if such a thing exists, but this is in line with what I'm looking for. There may be a Mercury Living Presence or RCA Living Stereo that is desirable.

Or the whole thing may be a fantasy on the part of the claimant.

So, thanks in advance for anyone's response and thoughts (and even jokes they may wish to make about this situation).

Onwards,

Stephen