To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] FLAC

Hi Tom!

There should be flac plugins for windows media player.

You could also try the vlc player. This little program plays almost anything

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

or winamp would play it as well

Erik

Tom Fine wrote:
One man's ears here, but I prefer the SACD audio reproduction on my mid-priced ($550 street price) Marantz universal DVD/CD/SACD player and even my low-priced ($150 street price) Toshiba universal player to ANY Sony SACD of any price I've heard. So no matter the price, it could have just been a bad SACD player.

That said, I've heard 96/24 PCM and SACD audio of the same source and can't tell any difference so my ears might not be as gold-leafed as others'. I can tell the difference between CD of the same source and either hi-rez format, and the hi-rez does seem to have a nicer top end and bit more air and space around things, but not enough that I'd go replace my whole CD collection. Unfortunately the hybrid SACD/CD format never reached critical mass, so the next hope is that at least CD-quality digital downloads will one day be the dollar choice, as opposed to the complete ripoff of iTunes and Amazon lossy-compressed dollar downloads.

Are there any Flac players for us non-geeks, something that works at least as well and is at least as fully featured as the Windows Media Player? Are there Flac add-ins for iTunes or are you stuck with Apple's proprietary but good lossless format in the iPod world?

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "carlstephen koto" <cskoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>