To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:21 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] The Emperor's New Sampling Rate By Paul D. Lehrman Mix Magazine April 2008

DAT was partly crippled by the dumb copy-protection stuff, which got all sorts of negative press even though for most people it would have made no difference in their activities. There was little consumer uptake so manufacturing costs never came down enough to offer a truly mass-market-priced version. Also, the mechanism was complex and there was only so cheap it could get (although, look at how cheap VHS VCR's got).

Your key point, about convenience and perceived value, is true. To each their own in the LP vs CD "contest" -- I own really nice-sounding examples of both and really horrid-sounding examples of both. The CD trumped the LP all limbs down for convenience and the iPod trumps the CD for convenience. I have yet to find a really nice-sounding example of a lossy-compressed 99 cent iTunes or MP3 file sold commercially. I can make acceptable-sounding MP3 rips using a higher bitrate.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>