Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 631

Head and tail leader, or within the reel as separators? If that's the purpose, it may not be visible in the pack, even with black oxide tape and definitely not with brown oxide (499 etc).

CBC Edmonton never had leader tape around the place so the news and current affairs department would just take 176 and splice it in BACKWARDS (oxide out). Worked fine as leader, then somebody'd re-use the tape and wonder why there were blank sections in the recording. And CBC Vancouver was using green leader, which also wasn't visible in the pack.

dl

Peoples, Curtis wrote:

I have a couple of cases of Ampex 631 pro audio tape that is not going
to be used for recording purposes. Is there any reason why I cannot use
it as leader tape? So far, I have not found 631 on any lists of tapes
with problems, such as sticky shed.

Curtis Peoples

Archivist

PO Box 41041
Texas Tech University
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Lubbock, Texas 79409-1041
curtis.peoples@xxxxxxx
Phone: 806-742-3749 ext 265
Fax: 806-742-0496