From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Fine
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:24 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] "Record Club" CD's redux

We briefly discussed this topic a while back, whether Yourmusic.com (BMG
club) CD's are 100% the same as off-the-shelf original-label. Bob Katz,
in my estimation, is not an audiophool nor a moron, so his analysis
counts for something:
http://www.stereophile.com/features/55/index.html

The jitter issue raises a couple of questions:

1. would this trigger more error-correction in the playback system and
hence the perceived "different" sound qualities?

2. if one grabbed the same cut from the BMG and original-issue CD's with
Exact Audio Copy, assuming EAC reported about the same quality percent
from the grabs, would you have identical-sounding files on your hard
drive?

For what it's worth, my observation about some BMG-club CD's is that the
discs seem to be flimsy, especially compared to original-issue Polygram
from the early and mid 1990's. I wonder if they are chinsy enough to
trigger playback error-correction? That said, in my playback system, I
can't tell any sound difference between BMG-club and store-bought of a
few Blue Note jazz reissues I recently compared. I borrowed BMG-club of
a few Mercurys and will compare when they arrive.

-- Tom Fine