Re: [ARSCLIST] Yet another great box set from Mosaic

I couldn't agree more.I love the guy,always have.s for why,this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQXpJbeCZNc is as good a reason as any.I frankly have no clue,as to why he never caught on with 50s R&B collectors,who have been the ones who have kept the memory of far more obscure people alive. If Maceo Parker can be revered,why not Bostiic ? The only good thing about him,being relatively unknown,means when his rarer Lps, including those from the early/middle 50s come up on eBay,in high end shape,they can generally be picked up at little more than thrift shop prices.I once got that 1954  Parlophone 10 " Lp,in virtually unplayed shape for one pound plus shipping.

                                     Roger
Aaron Levinson <aaron.levinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Tom & Milan-

I will mention someone else who falls into the wildly underrated
category: Earl Bostic. That guy was a saxophone
colossus but his association with making a bunch of schmaltzy records
for King in the latter part of his career doomed him to obscurity. That
cat was a wizard- he could so much horn it was silly! A master
technician and capable of playing in any style you can imagine but bad
taste can really ruin your critical appraisal. Coltrane cites him as one
of the players he really looked up to. Bostic actually invented the
multiphonics technique on the sax which is one of the most advanced
ideas anyone ever came up with for what was long considered a single
note instrument!

AA