Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Preservation Question

I wouldn't write off DAT yet, even if new units aren't being produced at a reasonable price. Last year I had one machine overhauled that I bought on eBay for a very modest price and had repairs done on another one that had begun to give me grief. Repairs were done here:

ONTARIO AUDIO/VIDEO SERVICE
2074 STEELES AVENUE EAST, UNIT 21
BRAMPTON, ONT.
L6T 4Z9
PH--905-791-2020
FX--905-791-2121

As well, new tapes are still available from American Digital at around $2.59 apiece in quantity.

The tapes are indeed holding up well. I have many that I recorded in the early and mid 90s, and I've had virtually no problems with them, the exceptions being some used DATs that I recorded over without bulk erasing them. Even my first machine, one of the few consumer models ever sold (a JVC), still plays back any dat recorded anywhere, including at 32k (long play).

dl