To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Article about digital archiving in the NY Times

At 07:32 PM 2008-04-09, Bob Olhsson wrote:

My point is that nobody can possibly afford to go out and build a DAT
machine from scratch, much less a Soundstream or 3M. digital player.

Agreed, Bob!

That was my point about a week ago when I found out that the Honeywell 101 Instrumentation recorders are still available -- upwards of $100,000 each!

On the other hand, if you have online digital archives (i.e. storage connected to a LAN) you can issue the equivalent of:
copy \\oldarchive \\newarchive /s
Go away for X number of days
Run the MD5 comparisons on newarchive
and you're done.

It is a far cry from trying to play old 3M digital tapes, all of which should have been migrated when there were machines.

The dead issue isn't digital, but shelf storage that is non-robotic or non-connected.

Cheers,

Richard