Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: Sticky AGFA PEM 469

Hello, David and Carlstephen,

In regards to tapes that do not respond to baking, I've had excellent results with playing 3M 175 and Sony PR-150 at +4 degrees C (+4C). Others have confirmed this. Laboratory analysis seems to indicate (small sample) that the glass transition temperature (Tg) of the tape has fallen -- in the test case to +8C. So playing below the current Tg of the tape works.

While Shamrock 031 MIGHT respond to the D5 treatment, I prefer to use D5 as a last resort. See this blog post for success with Shamrock 031 (worked on several reels)

http://richardhess.com/notes/2007/11/08/success-with-squealing-shamrock-031-tape/

So far, I've been able to play every reel tape I've come across recently without resorting to relubrication (see my previous post why it's not really relubrication -- the lubricant is still there -- but rather over-lubrication). I'm using it on cassettes for now, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve still that I'm working on.

As to delivery of D5, I use my "mule" tape recorder
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/03/06/loading-c-0-cassettes/
And over the length of the tape inject about 0.5 CC of D5 into a cotton swab that is in contact with the tape surface. My guess is about half of that is transferred to the tape surface.

I have had only a small amount of luck with using the LAST products on unplayable tapes. I can see how they might reduce scrape flutter on some normal tapes or tapes that are just beginning to degrade.

Cheers,

Richard