To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Edison Battery was Battery Oil

I read a book within the last two years (can't recall thie title) on the history of enegy monopolies going back to English kings control of the forests.

The chapters on batteries showed how they were the Enron scam of their day, eerily similar. In an unregulated market, "storage batteries" became as manipulated a stock as thoise of the transcontinental railroads had been earlier. . As I recall, the storage batteries were first French- it's been a while and I loaned the book out. Can't check. At any rate, it was clear this wasn't an Edison "first." The Edison battery's subsequent history was linked to Ford's attempt at an electric car in competition with the petrolium interests. On the eve of an important test there was a fire at the Edison factory which may have been deliberately set. Some otherwise learned testers suddenly seeemed obtuse, not charging batteries before testing, etc. This was a Wall Street battle with players of various scrupulocities.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>