Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] RCA pressings of English Decca recordings

Yes! About the Mehta "Sacre."

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] RCA pressings of English Decca recordings

Right, same series. The pressings in Canada were done by Sony. I remember them well. Mehta (for whom I usually have less than no use) had a great Sacre on that label.

dl

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi David:

The records I'm speaking of are the Decca Jubilee series, just to be clear.

I wouldn't call that Karajan Planets recording under-rated. It's well liked by most critics. I think it's a very good interpretation but my favorite of them all is the last one that Boult did, circa early 1970's. The recording and the performance are incredible. I also like Dutoit/Montreal from the 1980's, again for both recording and performance. The critics also seem to like Mehta/L.A. but I found it pretty generic. Planets is a bit like Pictures at an Exhibition -- too many recorded versions out there and very few of them are very good.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>