Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] RCA pressings of English Decca recordings

London also reissued a bunch of the early 60's records in the early 80's budget-priced and pressed in Canada. They are actually not terrible by a long shot. But, and this might be plain heresy to some, I much prefer the recent "Decca Legends" CD's of almost any of this stuff I have in any edition LP. The Karajan/Vienna "Planets" sounds fantastic on the CD, for instance, as does the Karajan Strauss tone-poems.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] RCA pressings of English Decca recordings

Actually, I have a considerable number of English Deccas, issued in the US as Londons, which are manufactured in the US. The labels do not say, "Made in Blighty" or the equivilent.

They use English Decca master numbers but the type faces differ. Three at hand, all using the same type face as RCA, are:

PS 193. Mantovani ZAL - - - 4657 - - 2s Uncoated paper, blue label

LL 979. Mantovani ARL 1988 -1 Maroon label, uncoated. Recorded in Europe

OS.26005 Mahler. Das Lied w/ Bernstein ZAL - - - 7514 - - 1S

I don't know the significance of the dashes in the RCA matrix numbers

I have other U.S. presed issues with large handwritten, alsmost scrawled matrix numbers and some with various type designs, all using the Decca matrix numbers. This is particularly so for non-classical titles, including late mono Stones.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Tait" <Dontaitchicago@xxxxxxx>