To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Editorial on Radio Broadcast Copyrights

My understanding is "Not Licensed for Radio Broadcast" or "Broadcast Under License Only" were holdovers from the early days of radio, since most stations DID pay license fees to somebody..certainly for the music itself, but I'm vague on whether payment was required to play records. A very few records in both the 78 and LP eras were specific about not being allowed on the radio, and these included items restricted by the publishers such as settings of Winnie The Pooh verses (I kid you not), Sophie Tucker's "My Dream" (oy how we suffered not being able to hear that on the radio) and a few others. Gilbert and Sullivan could be played but it would cost ya..I know this from my parents' experience when they had radio programs on the CBC in the early 50s and had to report the number of minutes of G&S they played.

In Canada, Decca Records WERE kept off the air, for reasons nobody seems to understand today. The Compo Company decided it wanted pay for play, the radio stations told Herbie to drop dead, and Deccas were removed from Canadian radio libraries till late 1949 when the restriction somehow faded away, or stations began playing the discs and nothing happened (it might also have been slightly later when Compo was purchased outright by Decca).

dl

Tom Fine wrote:
Hi Mike:

Which labels were those? All the major American labels specifically released broadcast-only promotional copies for airplay and made available talent and executives to promote new releases on-air. I know in the case of one label that radio airplay was encouraged and 3-way deals were made between the record company, local record stores and the radio station to heavily-rotate new releases that were on display and/or on sale in the local stores, and special sales reports were prepared to track the success of these promotions. The key to making it work was the match store(s) to radio audience as certain cliques of fans in some cities would listen to a certain radio program and shop in certain stores and if you didn't have it matched up properly the promotion was for naught.

Seems to be anti-profitable not to promote a new product. What was the business model of these labels who banned airplay?

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>