To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Collection for sale

From two friends (one of them an "insider"), neither of whom wishes to be
identified, I have received this info:

My sources tell me it is not that great a collection, not all it's
cracked up to be. Record condition is mixed, much of it consists of
reissues and of lesser pressings of desirable recordings (etc.). The
way it's being sold is so ludicrous, it indicates someone who went
about assembling it with a feeding frenzy at an all you can eat
buffet, rather than a series of fine dining experiences!

The proper way to dispose of a really great collection of this size
would be to break it down by genre, by known collectibles, etc. and
extract the maximum from each interested sets of parties.

There are 45 rpm collector who will pay surprisingly large amounts
for some stuff while others won't touch 45s. (etc.). So asking
someone to pay this amount for the whole thing is self-defeating. The
only value in it is for the guy to say "I have a 3 million dollar
record collection!!!!"

Too bad no one else thinks so.

I suspect this collection was assembled with the same degree of
sloppiness and lack of attention to detail that is currently being
applied to trying to sell it.

[And even more trenchantly] --

In the life of all people there is the eventual moment when he/she
understands what was not necessary at the personal level. I am sure it is
the major reason why they would like to get rid of the collection. The
question is not about bidding but about the motivation of the people who
would like to own it. I do not think that people with a healthy mentality
and who have something to do in life would like to OWN it. To have access to
it – that is good! To own it? Who would want that burden?