Re: [ARSCLIST] Collection for sale

Clark wrote:

> From two friends (one of them an "insider"), neither of whom wishes to be
> identified, I have received this info:
>
> My sources tell me it is not that great a collection, not all it's
> cracked up to be. Record condition is mixed, much of it consists of
> reissues and of lesser pressings of desirable recordings (etc.). The
> way it's being sold is so ludicrous, it indicates someone who went
> about assembling it with a feeding frenzy at an all you can eat
> buffet, rather than a series of fine dining experiences!
>
> The proper way to dispose of a really great collection of this size
> would be to break it down by genre, by known collectibles, etc. and
> extract the maximum from each interested sets of parties.
>
> There are 45 rpm collector who will pay surprisingly large amounts
> for some stuff while others won't touch 45s. (etc.). So asking
> someone to pay this amount for the whole thing is self-defeating. The
> only value in it is for the guy to say "I have a 3 million dollar
> record collection!!!!"

I was wondering myself the breakdown of the collection. I emailed the
agent selling the collection for Mr. Mawhinney, asking for a detailed
breakdown, and received back the following info:

1.5 million 45s
a million+ LPs  (he did not break it down by 10" and 12" though)
300,000 CDs
thousands of 78s
a lot of miscellaneous cassettes, eight-tracks, etc.

(All the singles and a portion of the LPs are in the database...)

Clearly this collection is oriented towards the microgroove and CD
eras, with clearly the focus being on 45/LP (if Mr. Mawhinney wanted
to gather every audio CD issued, his 300,000 is a good start, but
nowhere near complete, from what I understand.)

Those who expect great coverage before the rock era will be sorely
disappointed. I can't speak for the coverage of the 45's and LP's,
though.

Jon Noring