To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 10:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Waldorf - 78 & LP

I have Waldorf 78s..always assumed they were part of the same company, which if I'm not mistaken was part of Grand Award. Aside from some 3-track-per-side 78s, I have one that has EIGHT tracks per side! Yes, it's a 78. ROCK 'N' ROLL JAMBOREE, Waldorf Record Corp, BU-3..assorted covers mostly by Artie Malvin and Enoch Light. Seems to me I have another one that uses at least one Paul Whiteman track, which they lifted from a Grand Award LP..might also have one or two of the Wally Cox sides he did for them.

As an aside, Grand Award inherited the Pilotone label and reissued the two Erich Leinsdorf albums (including the Deems Taylor commentaries). I've never found one of these reissues in playable condition.

The whole Grand Award operation was absorbed by ABC Paramount in 1959, per Gart.

dl

Thomas Stern wrote:
Is the 78rpm WALDORF label, which issued some 6 song 78's the same company
as the Waldorf-Music Hall early 10" LP label (did they issue 12inchers?)
There are two Ink Spots items currently on eBay, listed as 78rpm EP's
Any detailed information on either/both labels would be welcomed.
Thanks!
Best wishes, Thomas.