[ARSCLIST] Optical disc "repair"

On my way to work this morning I was intrigued by a poster in the local game shop advertising CD and DVD "mail-in" repair. I went to the web site listed. Take a look around; it is fascinating, among other things because it is directed towards dealers selling the process.

http://www.azuradisc.com

I have heard at least one expert in optical media state that all of this burnishing systems are actually damaging the polycarbonate layer and are harmful in the long run, but I wonder if there are any papers showing any reduction of errors after this kind of process (good luck finding links to such a paper in the web site above). If so, could process like this one be compared to, say, baking of tapes? In other words, "get the data to another medium while you can"? (But note that this is not what they advertise in the web site; they advertise actual repair of the disc... it will be like new!)

There are accessories sold by this company (e.g. foam for your jewel case?!?) that make me suspicious, but I am not ready to condemn their whole process yet. I am curious to hear reactions or comments from other posters.

Cheers,

Marcos Sueiro
Columbia University