Re: [ARSCLIST] Bias frequencies and their recovery (was Digital File Specs and StoryCorps)

Hello, Eric,

Here is an interesting reference on 24-bit recording with some real-world examples:
http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/recorders/real-world-24-bits/

Hi, Tom,

Thanks for adding those bias frequencies.

If we say that we wish to recover bias up to 250 kHz (for sake of argument, let's not go for the extremes of the Sony APR (400 kHz) and the Ampex ATR (432 kHz)) we need to look at roughly the half wavelengths of these frequencies.

Let's also say that we wish to recover 150 kHz bias off cassettes.

250 kHz at 15 in/s has a wavelength of 60 micro-inches, implying the need for a 30-micro-inch gap. Reel playback head gaps are minimum 80 micro-inches and generally longer.

At 7.5 in/s, we'd need a 15 micro-inch gap and at 3.75, we'd need a 7.5 micro-inch gap.

For cassettes, using the reduced spec of 150 kHz recovery, we'd need a 6.3 micro-inch gap.

My suggestion to Jamie Haworth has been to make a composite head that is a normal play head with a hard drive head embedded with the gaps aligned. Then phase lock a lower frequency pilot to the recovered bias and use that for the flutter signal. It's somewhat like the "colour-under" recording on lower-quality VCRs. The bias pilot tone should be in the 9-18 kHz region to be safe, IMHO. I think that would still provide enough resolution for flutter correction, although not perhaps for scrape flutter. The software flywheels that need to be put in place to avoid increasing distortion are interesting. If we were doing 96 kHz sampling, the flutter signal could be 19-36 kHz or so, providing 2x the resolution.

In that way, with relatively simple hardware we can archive another track that contains the speed-perturbation-related bias information using existing equipment and then Jamie can work his magic on the digital files later.

I discussed this over a very pleasant lunch in downtown Toronto during JTS with Nadja Wallaszkovits of Vienna who is working on archiving the bias using cassette repro heads that are offset. With only having a napkin available for calculations, I think she is working within the gap length combing region which is why her results have been variable. The fact that her heads are offset creates the second issue that you are correcting for flutter at a point it's not happening. And, the math of using a delay is interesting, but complex, since the time between heads varies based on the flutter component. It's much like stagger-head stereo images whipping around when there is flutter.

Even with 192 ks/s recording, the SD 722 provides decent response out to the "Nyquist frequency" (according to their FAQ "for scientific purposes") so we can't get better than 96 kHz at 192 ks/s, and I would suspect that the real world bandwidth is around 80-85 kHz. Good for some bats, I suspect. My Racal Store 4 DS does better at 60 in/s: 300 kHz, but only plays back 75 kHz at 15 in/s, so it is not really useful for bias recovery, either.

The whole bias recovery has been put out there by Jamie Haworth and Michael Gerzon, but few other than Jamie and Nadja are doing it, and Nadja is only storing the bias, not resolving it as far as I know.

Cheers,

Richard