Re: [ARSCLIST] A proposed A/B test (was "dumbing down" of Downloaded Recordings)

On 26/01/08, Jon Noring wrote:

>> CJ If I may say, "the literature" is full of that stuff, wherein no
>> group (as a group) has been found to detect any differences. Hence,
>> CD, MP3, etc. etc.
>
> Of course!
>
> But it's amazing how many people don't believe this. Thus the
> experiment to begin to refute a lot of misconceptions concerning
> digital audio in the archival and reissue communities.

You could test a group to show that nobody can identify correctly the
notes in a chord. Yet a small minority does have absolute pitch, and it seems
that others can be trained to have it.

I think with experience, we are learning to spot the faults in digital
recordings, which are not audible at first.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx