Re: [ARSCLIST] Mould/Mold

At 10:46 AM 2008-01-23, I wrote:

(c) Non-back-coated tape (possibly 3M176) that had pinning and that horrid
ripping sound on rewind (this was the first one I encountered) that WAS
corrected by a dry cold soak inside double plastic bags with a silica gel desiccant.
(d) Similar to above, but not corrected with the same treatment--this one was mostly
near the hub. Remember (c) and (d) were NOT back-coated.
While I have little/no confirmation of this, I think that one of the reasons (c) was successful was that there was enough shrinkage/expansion to break the cross-wrap bonds at a microscopic level without causing pullouts. Why (d) has not been successful is anyone's guess. That tape is now in someone else's care as it fits his mandate for gratis reformatting better than mine.

Here is another data point on (d) from the person who now has the tapes.

"The layers stick together more like velcro rather than from 'gumminess.'"

He opted to slowly wind through and got a fairly good transfer--thank goodness they were 15 in/s. Similar pullouts in Melody (3M seconds) brand tape are shown here:
http://richardhess.com/notes/2006/05/26/binder-adhesion-to-back-of-next-layer/
I think the Melody was worse. The Melody had been very damp (maybe even wet) at one point was my understanding.

There are clues in all of this, but I can't figure out precisely what it's telling us, so I thought I'd publish the clues for posterity at Stanford's COOL site.

Cheers,

Richard