Re: [ARSCLIST] Mould/Mold

At 04:56 AM 2008-01-23, Steve Puntolillo wrote:
Hi Marie --

Thanks for bringing this up. I would also be very interested in this info.

Just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with backcoated tape infested
with mold severe enough to cause the backcoating and oxide layer to merge
(seemingly) inseparably. I have been searching for info on what to do in
this situation but have found nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi, Steve,

I am not doubting that mold is a possible (probably) cause of back-coating and mag-coating bonding to the point of significant blocking/pinning and causing "pull-outs" of one (or the other or both) of the coatings when unspooling.

HOWEVER, I have seen this condition in non-moldy tapes as well. It is rare to be this bad, but it does happen. I have seen several instances of this:
(a) A tape I received that was already wound through before I got it with
the oxide half on the back-coating. Wouldn't even spool properly anymore
(b) Moldy tapes that were damaged by unspooling (by me) prior to baking as
the client knew the risk and, at that time, I didn't bake first. This was only one
song of which he ended up finding a better copy.
(c) Non-back-coated tape (possibly 3M176) that had pinning and that horrid
ripping sound on rewind (this was the first one I encountered) that WAS
corrected by a dry cold soak inside double plastic bags with a silica gel desiccant.
(d) Similar to above, but not corrected with the same treatment--this one was mostly
near the hub. Remember (c) and (d) were NOT back-coated.
(e) 3M201 pins on a regular basis, especially closer to the hub. For this tape, 1.88 in/s
de-spooling seems to work. These tapes were stored in SE Missouri in unknown
climatic conditions, but the area can be very hot and humid in the summers.

The British Library under the direction of the late Peter Copeland (formerly of this list) in circa 2001 (when I had the 3M176 issue) described their "grandfather clock" which was a 1 RPM unspooler where the tape was at the bottom of the cabinet, warm, dry air was blown through the cabinet and the re-spooler was at the top. Peter reported that they were experiencing trouble with triple-play tape and developed this tool to help recover this.

Other discussions have talked about a separation "knife" to break the coatings free of each other. The angles of everything in this scenario are critical, and I suspect a "follower" would need to be built that would go inside the reel and keep the angles the same. Sounds like some of our disc playback friends might have some suggestions for minimizing error here <smile>.

While I have little/no confirmation of this, I think that one of the reasons (c) was successful was that there was enough shrinkage/expansion to break the cross-wrap bonds at a microscopic level without causing pullouts. Why (d) has not been successful is anyone's guess. That tape is now in someone else's care as it fits his mandate for gratis reformatting better than mine.

Dr. Ric Bradshaw (for many years, IBM's tape guru) has suggested that it was no surprise that back-coated tapes exhibited the type of pinning that you described, especially under the pressure of the inner wraps on the reel. Since in at least some instances, the binder chemistry for the back coat and the mag coat are similar, as the polymers break down, under the pressure the material can migrate from one to the other at least to the extent that they can become inter-twined and cause the effect that you are describing.

As I said at the start, the mold could also act as an "adhesive" between layers, but in a polyester tape, there are fewer nutrients, I believe, in the tape for the mold than in an acetate tape.

Thanks, Marie, for the link to the Texas paper on mold. IPA has been suggested by Peter Brothers as well, but as you especially know, too much of it can be damaging.

My technique for removing mold is generally something like this:
(1) Don respirator -- not just a paper mask
(2) Go to garage where I have a winding machine, food dehydrator, and dedicated
old shop vac.
(3) Open all outside doors (both roll-up ones and the rear personnel door).
(4) Check repirator
(5) Remove a tape from its box
(6) Bag any ancillary paper metadata for possibly sending to a paper conservator later
(7) Inspect tape
(8) If it has noticeable mold in the windows, vacuum first then wipe with
moist cloth to remove the mold (note: moist could be one of several fluids).
(9) If tape needs baking, bake in mold-contaminated food dehydrator
(10) Wind tape through "mold transport" against wiping pads, changing
pads as needed
(11) Inspect tape for obvious signs of mold, if so, repeat (10)
(12) clean old reel if worth it (i.e. nice aluminum reel), replace it if not worth it
(13) discard all paper and reels in outdoor garbage can - destined for landfill
(14) if baker was used, run w/o tape for a bit to make sure as much mold as possible is out
(15) thoroughly wash hands/arms/face with soap and water

What fluid to use? I have used both IPA and a dilute chlorine bleach solution. In all instances I inform my client that the mold removal may have long-term bad effects on the tape and I will generally digitize these tapes as best as I can at 96/24 assuming they will never be played again. So far, I have not seen degradation from the chlorine bleach and in reading some ancillary literature (not related to tape) it has been said for some types of mold chlorine is a more effective killer than IPA. I am conflicted on this and need more information. The Texas paper tried IPA with acetate tape and noticed some changes in the analysis spectra.

I hate cleaning moldy tapes and ones as bad as Steve describes should be considered close to terminal.

Regards,

Richard