Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex ATR-102 opinion (was MD5 Hash Generators

Hi, Jerry,

As I'm sure you noted after Scott Phillips's informal test, the discussion said that degaussing will CHANGE the sound, not make it better.

I am with Scott's analysis as we know that currents induced in aluminum disks are real as that's how the watt-hour meters (pre-all-solid-state) at your power service work.

I think it's funny that the degaussing of the optical discs is considered an improvement. A similar technique is used at check-out stands in stores to "blow" the shoplifting protection "resonators" that trigger the alarms as you leave. Ever have them not degauss them? Scenes of pulling out the receipt and showing it to the guard. They warn you not to put your credit card (with mag stripe) near the disarming station.

Many faults seem to come back to poor power supply design / power management.

Cheers,

Richard