Re: [ARSCLIST] vinyl 78's

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Anyone know if there was an official cut-off date among the major pressing
plants in the USA? As I
> said, I know there were still kiddie record 78's being cut and pressed in the
mid-60's.

Apparently not. The major labels all abandoned 78rpm in mid-1958
(Capitol may have continued for a month or three...?!), but labels
which felt they had rural buyers (i.e. race records...most notably
Chess) pressed 78's into 1960.

"Kiddie records" were different; their manufacturers seemed to
assume their customers still used "kiddie" phonographs, which
were usually 78rpm...and that the parents wouldn't let the
chilluns use the "big people's player," which was usually a
stereo system...?!