Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

So then no one really knows if 80's are less reliable? If this "reliability" issue is mythology, why is so common on this forum? I ask because 650 meg media is becoming somewhat rare and oftem much more costly. If there is no proven advantage then it is silly to insist on it, as some clients do.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 7:34 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

Tom Fine wrote:
Does anyone have any recent science showing the 80's (700megs) are any less reliable than the 74's (650megs) -- apples to apples on manufacturer and dye material?

"Reliability" usually refers to probability of failure over time. Since the time spans involved in CD-R degradation are of the order of decades, there's little hope of getting meaningful results during the lifetime of the product line. Accelerated life test is wonderful - if there are reasons for believing that the relationship between acceleration and 'reality' can be established. I have seen no science, recent or otherwise, that suggests that altering a parameter by X is equivalent to multiplying test time by Y.

I am reminded of a boss I once had who suggested accelerating software life test by running the computer in an oven.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/