Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

Does anyone have any recent science showing the 80's (700megs) are any less reliable than the 74's (650megs) -- apples to apples on manufacturer and dye material?

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard L. Hess" <arclists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 5:46 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R question

At 05:10 PM 2008-01-04, Mike Richter wrote:
I have not checked recently, but historically archival CD-Rs were available only in 63-minute (now rare if available at all) and 74-minute capacities.

MAM-A is releasing 80-minute gold archival CD-Rs and, unfortunately, the Canadian stocking distributor is no longer carrying the 74-minute ones. It still doesn't solve the problem of the C90 transfer which ends up on two CD-Rs in a single jewel case.

I had used enough of the 80-minute ones without incident for specific projects that I've rolled over and played dead instead of fighting this one with the distributor. It appears that all the people who are using the archival CD-R that at least these folks are supplying, are migrating to the 80-minute ones.

I'm actually moving away from CD-R and going to DVD-R with files or uploads.

Cheers,

Richard