Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

Heh!
I played horn, though not professionally. My degree was vocal performance. Both parents were trombone players. I propose that this is evidence of evolution.
Phillip

Punto wrote:
phillip holmes wrote:

A big amen to that. Though I mentioned that my opinions are primarily from the perspective of the performer, I didn't mention that I was a horn-player. I can't tell you how many broadcasts, recordings and mega-miked performances that I have played where I have had to move the ***damned mike away (far away) from my bell. The fact that the horn is played with its business end facing away from the audience and the player cups his (or her) hand inside of it is what makes it SOUND LIKE A HORN. Since the mid 18th century, this has been true and it has always frustrated me that 99% of audio guys I have encountered on gigs do not seem to have gotten the word on this yet.

Sorry if I am skittering off on a tangent here, but I just needed to acknowledge Phil's wisdom on this point since it is so rare that I have found anyone who acknowledged this painfully obvious fact.

Cheers,

Peter Hirsch