Re: [ARSCLIST] How not to mike an orchestra

phillip holmes wrote:
Hey Bob,
I'm definitely NOT saying modern equipment is more musical or more truthful. However, it is quieter, which is one of the points I was trying to make. I can't stand most modern recordings. I worship at the alter of Decca and Mercury. One thing that is an absolute truth is that some microphone techniques are stupid to the point of moronic imbecility. No concert goer, anywhere, is going to here a French Horn from two feet behind the bell. I've seen jackass recording engineers put their microphones behind the Horns, pointed at the bell. The things don't sound like Horns when they're recorded that way.

Brass players are successful arrangers because they use more brass instruments. Brass is more "awesome" than the other instruments. When you add all the various mutes to your tonal arsenal, a full brass section can produce whisper soft sounds all the way up to something like a freight train running over a jumbo jet.

Phillip