[ARSCLIST] A sad passing

I'd like to note, sadly, the passing yesterday or Ross Snyder. Ross was an early employee of Ampex, frequently writing early technical articles for the American magnetic recording pioneer company. He was also the inventor of Sel-Sync (later called simul-sync by some Japanese multi-track manufacturers). Ross wrote an article for the ARSC Journal in 2003 detailing that invention:
http://www.aes.org/aeshc/docs/sel-sync/snyder_sel-sync.pdf

Ross was an AES Fellow and one of the founders of the AES San Francisco section.

I knew Ross via the Ampex List. I had the pleasure of buying him brunch and sitting back for several hours of very interesting conversation the last time he travelled to New York, several years ago. Ross was an old-school gentleman, the kind you don't meet very often any more. His cultural and technical knowledge ran rings around my bumpkin mind, and he was far too classy to ever let on that this was obvious!

When you consider what the invention of Sel-Sync led to in the music-recording world, Ross was quite a pioneer.

-- Tom Fine