To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 6:56 PM
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Early Mercury LP

I've come upon an early Mercury LP, dark red cover with gold-embossed
lettering:  MG10003, Mitchell Miller with the Saidenberg Little Symphony,  Daniel
Saidenberg conducting works by Cimarosa, Luis Milan and Vaughn  Williams.  It
was produced by Robert Fine at the Reeves Beaux Arts Studios  in NYC in 1947.
Notes are by David Hall.  The disc is in fine shape  and the grooves are
pristne.  Was this album, recorded in 1947, done to be  dubbed onto 78s?  Or was
there movement toward releasing the first LPs  before 1948?  A note says "A
single microphone was placed approximately 30  feet from the players."

Don Chichester