Re: [ARSCLIST] Barber of Bagdad question

David Lennick wrote:
Correct, but why does the label (on the English Columbia pressing..I haven't seen the Angel) call it "The Mottl Overture to The Barber of Bagdad"?

I have been assuming that those writing on this thread know of Felix Mottl, one of the great conductors of the turn of the 20th century. Among his achievements was reviving Cornelius's opera in 1884 by reorchestrating it. I assume that his version of the alternate overture has acquired his name to distinguish it from the other overture and from Cornelius's own orchestration. It seems at first glance to be akin to unwillingness to give up Leonore #3, inserting it at the scene change in Fidelio Act II.

Someone with deeper interest than I might well research the matter beginning with the references found in Grove.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/