Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

I tend to agree,but our friend Mac,at WFMU,gets some pretty good results.But he said once that he doesn't use factory-issued needles,and that he changes them after ever side,which is why he uses 3-4 machines every show.He also intimates he puts a lot of work into keeping his machines running better than new.I have been consistently impressed by what I hear on his show.Perhaps he ought to be used by some label.Our other friend Damian, did a bang-up (pun intended) transfer/digitization job,job,on the 1916 Landon Ronald 1812.

http://www.damians78s.34sp.com/records.htm

                               Roger

Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx> wrote: Don Cox wrote:
> On 08/12/07, Gary R. Boye wrote:

>> Second, I worry that the 78s that I have in near mint condition will
>> be worn out on the Victrola. I demo them on the portable electric tube
>> player, which also lets them hear the difference between a radio-like
>> setup over an acoustic one. Maybe one play on the Victrola wouldn't
>> hurt? Otherwise, I play major label pop music on the hand-cranker.
>>
> One play on the Victrola could do significant damage. Perhaps using a
> thorn rather than a steel needle would help.

Only if you have a means for getting the resin out of the groove! There
are plastic needles available that offer similar sound, less damage and
no debris.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx