Re: [ARSCLIST] Pristine Audio and the Milllennials . . .

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary R. Boye" <boyegr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Tom et al.:
> I think I will do more demonstrations comparing the audio of the same
> source material, but I'm working under some limitations:
>
> First and foremost, I'm trying to cover 80+ years of music.
>
> Second, I worry that the 78s that I have in near mint condition will be
> worn out on the Victrola.  I demo them on the portable electric tube
> player, which also lets them hear the difference between a radio-like
> setup over an acoustic one.  Maybe one play on the Victrola wouldn't
> hurt?  Otherwise, I play major label pop music on the hand-cranker.
>
> A couple of year ago, they went to digital receivers without any analog
> capability in the lecture hall and out went the turntable.  I'd hate to
> demo the LP on a smaller system and then compare it to the big system
> with the overhead speakers.  But maybe I can setup a stereo and play LP
>  > (8 track? cassette?) > CD all on it, with a more finely recorded (for
> country music) example, like a Merle Haggard Capitol album.
>
> Incidentally, I still use CDs for classroom demonstration, even though
> most of the listening is available through streaming audio on the WebCT
> page.  Just sounds better to me and I don't trust the Internet connection.
>
> Of course I also talk about and display the change from the old brown
> sleeves for 78s to the colorful LP album (back to the tiny and
> unimpressive CD case).  Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I'll let
> you know what the students think . . .
>
>From what I've been told by machine collectors...playing 78's OF PRE-WWII
VINTAGE on wind-up machines causes little or no damage...with one vital
caveat...! BE SURE to obey the label's charge, "Use New Steel Needle For
Each [play]!" Most postwar 78's used "weaker" part-plastic material, so
as to make the "Unbreakable" claim, and DON'T stand up to vintage
machines.

Next question...are you saying that the music-playback facilities in
your lecture room(s) are CD/DVD-specific? If so, do they allow for
microphone inputs...and, if THAT, using 1/4" jacks or XLR inputs?

If the latter is the case, acquire (rental?) a decent-quality mike,
and mike the sound output (horn, speaker, usw.) of the device you
are demonstrating. Keep in mind that miking an audio device will
NOT improve the sound...it just makes it louder...! Also, most
post-c.1950 formats do NOT display audible differences, unless
you have a class full of "audio connaissuers(sp?)"...!