From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mew, Peter
Sent: Wednesday, 5 December 2007 8:42 a.m.
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Damaged Tapes

Hi

I have just received 2 reels of 1/4inch tape recorded in 1968.
To the best of my knowledge this is the first time they have been played
since then.
They have been stored Tail Out
All the titles have been leadered with plain white plastic leader The
Tape has never been baked When I spooled the first reel back to the
start, to play, I found that on 3 of the titles the oxide had adhered to
the leader, having been stripped off the tape backing. Thus rendering
the first 3 or 4 seconds unuseable.

This is obviously unrecoverable

When I came to the second side, I spooled up to the leader and the moved
the tape slowly by hand, the oxide is still sticking to the leader.
I have no idea what make the tape is, as it is not Emitape, but in an
EmiTape box Has anyone met this, and how did you attempt to deal with it
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

-pm