Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

> Was the Brahms cylinder ever on commercial 78?

I believe there was a commemorative 78 of the Brahms issued in 1933 (or
maybe later on some other anniversary relating to Brahms? in the 1930s, tho)
that is currently the source of most transfers as, as Dr. Biel has explained
in detail elsewhere, the original (now broken, sadly) is unable to yield a
result superior to the disc. I didn't suggest it as I don't know of a CD
release, though there probably is one, and I don't know where it might be
downloaded.

David N. Lewis
Assistant Classical Editor, All Music Guide

Maybe music was not intended to satisfy the curious definiteness of man.
Maybe it is better to hope that music may always be transcendental language
in the most extravagant sense. ~ Charles Ives