Re: [ARSCLIST] Damaged Tapes

At 05:14 PM 2007-12-04, Mew, Peter wrote:
Thanks to everyone who replied and to those who still might

These tape are definitley no suffering from "Sticky Shed" We know how to
deal with that and have our own ovens for the purpose
This is something new to me
I might give the" try and get signal back from the oxide on the leader,
and add that to the original" approach, to get back the really badly
damaged bits

Peter,

I'm aware that it's not SSS -- as in the message I sent you off-list, the one tape that exhibited this worst was Maxell UD35 (not the later back-coated versions) that have never suffered from SSS.

Jim Wheeler once talked to me about tape against ruby guides and the bonding through van der Waals forces -- he was able to break some of that free on a spacecraft headed for the outer planets.

I do not yet know what causes this adhesion, but the thermal cycling I was alluding to wasn't for baking like SSS but to create enough inter-layer creep to perhaps break the undesired bonds.

Cheers,

Richard