Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio History In a Nutshell?

Aaron Levinson wrote:
Does anyone know of a single recording that started life as a cylinder migrated to 78 went over to Microgroove eventually ended up on CD and finally is now offered as an mp3? I'm sure such a thing must exist and I'm equally someone on this list knows what it is. I'm not at all sure why this thought came to me last night at 1:00 as a I lay in bed. But the true beauty of the internet is that the next morning I can post this very question instead of torturing myself for the rest of my natural life in the twilight of uncertainty.

Surely many of the Caruso cylinders have had such a history. The only step which is questionable is availability on MP3; you could confirm availability at http://www.naxos.com/ before attempting a wider search. (Naxos has issued the complete Caruso and has most if not all of its recordings available in MP3.)

The candidates (the 8400n numbers are for the matrices):

Anglo-Italian Commerce Company, issued by Pathe Freres on cylinder and disc, October 1903, Milan (with Piano accompaniment)

1. 84003 - AICC/Pathé nos. 84003
PINI-CORSI Tu non mi vuoi piu bene

2. 84004 - AICC/Pathé nos. 84004
PUCCINI: Tosca - E lucevan le stelle

3. 84006
MEYERBEER: Les Huguenots - Qui sotto il ciel

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/