Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] Early DG 78s/History

Label #3 is the 40s Nipper one I have.Versions were made with and without the artists photo on the labels.No mention of the tulip 78s,tho...
The ones I have may date from 1950,but I could have sworn they were earlier.

                                   Roger
John Ross <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: At  11/11/2007 07:15 PM, Roger wrote:
>As for the tulips,I have 78s on the this label,from 1947-8,so I
>assume this label began to be used,right after the war.

 From the DGG web site
(http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/about/aboutdgg3.htms?PAGE=page3):

"It was only in the 1950s that the excellence of Deutsche Grammophon
recordings came to be symbolized by the colour yellow. The new
trademark in the form of a cartouche with a stylized crown of tulips
(picture 4) was developed by Siemens advertising consultant, Hans
Domizlaff. Now recognized internationally as one of the fathers of
modern marketing, Domizlaff was an early advocate of the principle of
market segmentation. Since Deutsche Grammophon produced both
classical and popular music recordings Domizlaff designed independent
labels for each musical genre. Henceforth pop music and chart-topping
hits appeared exclusively on the red Polydor label, while Deutsche
Grammophon's prestigious yellow label was reserved for classical recordings.

In 1958, at Domizlaff's instigation, the designer Gerhard Noack
designed the yellow cartouche (picture 5), with a garland of tulips
decorating each Deutsche Grammophon label integrated into the design.
On the record itself, the tulip flowers were arranged in such a way
as to create a stroboscopic effect when revolving at the right speed,
so that they seemed to stand still."

John Ross